Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
What are urinary
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are infections of any part of the urinary tract. Lower UTIs in the bladder are commonly known as ‘cystitis’. In more than 80% of cases they are caused by the overgrowth of the bacteria Escherichia coli (E.coli) originating from the digestive system or vagina, or more rarely the bloodstream. Infections from the digestive system are more common as the pathogenic bacteria that colonise in the gut are able to move easily from the anus to the urethra. Probably for this reason, UTIs are more frequent in women than men, with an estimated half of all women in the UK having at least one UTI in their life-time with 25% having recurrent episodes.
What are the common symptoms to look out for?
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate
- Frequent need to urinate at night
- Pain / burning sensation whilst urinating
- Cloudy or unpleasant smelling urine
- Pus in the urine
- More serious upper UTIs could cause nausea, fever, lower back pain and confusion and require medical attention
What lifestyle factors could be suggested to clients?
- Drink 3 litres of water a day during an acute attack and 2-3 litres thereafter (to help flush the bacteria from the bladder)
- Avoid retaining urine for long periods of time
- Avoid sexual intercourse until infection has cleared
- Wash before and after intimacy and urinate immediately after sexual intercourse
- Keep the genital area clean and wipe from front to back
- Some suggest wearing cotton underwear, avoid tight fitting trousers, perfumed soaps, vaginal deodorants, feminine wipes and tampons
Bio-Kult Pro-Cyan is a triple action formula scientifically developed with cranberry extract (36mg PACs), two specifically selected live bacteria strains and Vitamin A that works with your body to help maintain normal levels of bacteria in the gut in order to help maintain a healthy urinary tract.